MAKE SURE YOU’RE ROADTRIP READY THIS SUMMER
Let us offer you some handy tips and advice
As temperatures begin to rise, (they will - promise!), staycation season will soon be upon us. With 4 in 5 Brits (84%) planning a UK break this summer*, we know that many people will be setting out on a road trip. As with any long journey, it’s really important to make sure cars are in the best possible condition, and can deal with whatever the trip might throw at them.
To make sure your vehicle is in the best shape possible, we've created the ultimate road trip guide. With invaluable vehicle and travel tips, it’s sure to help you get the most out of your summer journeys:
- Do the ‘Big Three’ checks ahead of the journey – There are three key checks to do before you set off. Tyre pressure, washer fluid and engine oil levels should be monitored before any long trip. Many car owners especially forget to check their engine oil levels, which is vital to keep internal parts moving as they should. If the oil level in your engine drops too low, it'll stop working efficiently and could even lead to significant engine damage. If you'd like us to do this for you, then please book in for a vehicle health check. It only takes about 20 minutes and checks all key parts, tyres, brakes and fluid levels.
- Bring the fun – A key part of any road trip is ensuring that the fun never stops. This is often difficult on long car journeys, so why not avoid the 100th round of ‘I Spy’ by bringing travel board games for your passengers? Crosswords or Card Games are a great way for passengers to pass the time and inject some competitive spirit into your journey. Why not download a quiz to keep the whole family entertained? As well as games, make sure you bring in-car snacks too, to keep your passengers fed and happy throughout the journey. From a full picnic stop, to crisps, fruit and sweets to nibble along the way, it’ll be sure to maintain the energy levels throughout your trip.
- Packing – Perhaps the most obvious of all is making sure you’re packed for your destination! What would a summer road trip be without the luggage, bikes and snack bags that are essential for a summer day out. Squeezing everything in can be a challenge, but our range of spacious hatchback, SUV and estate vehicles have been designed with space in mind. From roof-bars to bike-racks, our host of innovative space-saving features will ensure your road trip has everything you need.
Jonathan Bischoff, owner and managing director of the JCB Group, commented: “Now that the warmer months are hopefully upon us, it is really important to consider the impact longer road trips will have on your car. Not only to avoid any potential damage, but to make sure you are keeping safe on the road. Whatever your needs, we are always here to offer help or advice on this. Simply pick up the phone and our expert team will be delighted to help.”
Showrooms and Service Centres Open
For those keen to purchase a new or used car this summer, the JCB Group offers a wide range of choices, including all-electric and hybrid models alongside our popular traditional fuel models. The dealerships are now back open and welcoming shoppers. Extensive measures have been put in place to keep the process as safe as possible, including staggered appointment times and sanitisation stations for customers and staff. This also includes the thorough cleaning of all vehicles before handover.
Where To Venture?
According to a recent study, Cornwall is among the most sought-after destinations in Europe for road trips. With 78 boards dedicated to the county on social media site Pinterest, the picturesque coast has also seen a surge in Google searches, with a 50% increase in people searching for ‘Cornwall’ from January 2021 to March 2021*. With that in mind, we've pulled together a list of the UK’s best road trip routes, and some suggestions closer to home, so why not try visiting some of the following spots on your summer journey:
- Wild Wales - Explore some of the UK’s most stunning scenery with a drive through Snowdonia National Park and out to the Menai Strait. Starting at Betws-y-Coed, head west past Swallow Falls and into the heart of Snowdonia. Outside the park, take the scenic route via Caernarfon, before heading over the water to explore the beautiful Isle of Anglesey.
- Peak District National Park – Why not take a tour through one of the country’s most beloved national parks, the Peak District. Start in Glossop and head into the Pennines via the famous Snake Pass. A small detour to the south-west will take you to the Blue John Cavern, a cave system that’s ideal for an exciting alternative to rambling. For even more of a thrill, take to the skies with Derwent Valley’s cable car.
- Atlantic Highway - The A39 is a long stretch of road in South West England, running between Bath to Falmouth. A particularly picturesque part is from Barnstaple in Devon to the Cornish seaside resort of Newquay. Just a short journey from the road are breath-taking views of the Atlantic as you pass through Bude, Camelford and Wadebridge. Active groups will love walking and cycling through North Devon’s Adventure Coast.
- Norfolk Coast - England’s eastern coastline is full of scenic waterways and wildlife, so starting out from Norwich, take the coast road north towards Cromer for a traditional seaside resort. Further along the coast, Brancaster Beach is the perfect option for an afternoon on the sand. With more than 40 miles of sandy shores and six Blue Flag beaches, Norfolk is also home to the country’s largest seal colony at Blakeney Point.
- The UK’s Route 66 – For the ultimate summer road trip, why not venture up to Scotland to enjoy some of the UK’s most spectacular vistas. Starting and ending at Inverness Castle, The North Coast 500 goes via Ullapool, Durness, John O’Groats and Dornoch. A full 500 miles in length, it’s advisable to book accommodation well in advance. Plenty of adventurous opportunities exist on route, with surfing, canyoning and diving all available to beginners.
- Visit Kent - if you're literally staying at home for your summer break this year, then explore the beautiful Kent countryside on your doorstep. With a wealth of nature reserves, historic castles and buildings, gardens and beaches you'll be spoilt for choice. For more information and up-to-date listings of what's on in the garden of England visit: https://www.visitkent.co.uk
- Visit Sussex - for our local customers living in Sussex, then venture out to the huge choice of places of interest nearby - vineyards, animal parks, museums, castles and coastlines. See the top attractions in beautiful Sussex at: https://www.sussextopattractions.co.uk/attractions
Wherever you choose, we wish you a happy and safe summer.
Help Is At Hand
Let the JCB Group help you with your summer preparations.
We can help with vehicle health checks, servicing and maintenance, new and used car and van sales, supply and fitting of accessories such as cycle racks, roof racks and dog guards. Our Van Centres and FIAT franchise are also able to service motorhomes.